The Bermuda Race and the Storm Trysail Club go hand in hand as the infamous stormy 1936 Race inspired our founding members to form the Club. We want to thank the Flag Officers, Members and ALL of the hard-working volunteers and staff of the Cruising Club of America and the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club for such a great race and the great institution that is the Newport Bermuda Race
Kudos to the Storm Trysail Club members who participated and podiumed in the long-awaited 52nd Thrash to the Onion Patch.
Here are the numbers:
– 178 Storm Trysail Club members started in Newport which is 11% of the total sailors who participated in the Race
– Both the St. David’s Lighthouse Winner and the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Winner were STC Members: Stan & Sally Honey with their Cal 40, ILLUSION, and Christopher Sheehan with his Pac52, WARRIOR WON
– Sheehan has become the first owner to win both a Gibbs Hill and a St. David’s Lighthouse Trophy, winning the latter aboard his XP44 in 2016.
– The Honey’s Cal 40 ILLUSION walked away with the most trophies overall (9) including top boat under 40 feet, top boat older than 15 years, top Pacific coast boat, along with the Navigator and Class awards
– Of the 49 possible podium spots this year, 18 were held by STC Member-Owned boats but of note, 2 additional boats should be included in that count, Member Chad Corning was the Person in Charge on ARGO which set the new course record and won the multihull class and Fleet Captain Rick Royce was the watch captain on DESPERADO, 2nd in Gibbs Hill and winner of Class 18 which was made up of mostly Webb Institute Offshore Sailing Team students.
– Of the 19 classes, 14 had a STC Member boat on the podium, 10 of those went home with the first-place trophy
– We also have rung 8-bells for our fallen member, Colin Golder, who tragically lost his life while racing his boat MORGAN OF MARIETTA. Our thoughts remain with his family and crew
Bermuda Members Party
It was great to be together again at the Members Party at the Royal Hamilton Amateur Dinghy Club in Bermuda. Over 170 members gathered to share their race adventures and taste a fine selection of Rum from our sponsor Goslings.
Young Members Event in Bermuda
STC, CCA and NYYC jointly hosted about 50 young members at a party on Thursday, June 24, post Bermuda Race. The event was held at NYYC members Phoebe and Forster Darling, who kindly provided their house as the location, and helped arrange catering and beverages.
In addition to the efforts of the Young Members Committee in pulling this all together we were able to work with Goslings Rum who kindly provided a very special bottle of rum which was raffled off. The proceeds from the raffle, ~$1200, will be gifted to the Bermuda Sloop Foundation.