Block Island Race Week HQ is headed back to Champlin’s, the Resort Marina where Race Week first started and the traditional after-racing parties will return
For those sailors old enough to remember, Block Island Race Week participants typically both raced and slept on their boats all week-long, which created a fun atmosphere right on the docks. Those tie-ups occurred at Champlin’s Resort Marina on the southwestern side of the Great Salt Pond. Now in 2021, we are thrilled to announce that we are going back to where it all began and that there WILL BE post-racing socials.
Champlin’s Marina – which is under new management and undergoing a massive renovation – will be the new home of Block Island Race Week presented by Margaritaville. The Race Headquarters and operations will be based here, as will our traditional post-racing socials known as the “tent parties.” This year, however, there will be fewer tent coverings and more outdoor space with sailors using Champlin’s sprawling lawns and newly constructed plaza to gather for a drink to celebrate a day of racing.
“We know how much Block Island means to the Race Week sailors,” says Mike Hartman, General Manager of Champlin’s. “We are thrilled to be able to create a home for the sailors again and look forward to this partnership growing.”
“There have been many discussions among the Storm Trysail Club organizers, health professionals, local vendors, and sponsors in an effort to find the safest way to bring back the normalcy of a fun race atmosphere,” says Storm Trysail Vice Commodore and Event Chair Ray Redniss. “We feel we have a plan that will safely provide the full BIRW after racing experience.”
Margaritaville returns as Presenting Partner and will be bringing the fun once again with music, games, and margaritas. Putting the event together this year amidst all the uncertainty of the pandemic requires that we offer a cash bar at the party. But, thanks to our partners Mt. Gay Rum, Margaritaville and Regatta Craft Mixers prices for mixed drinks, beer and wine will be significantly discounted. As in the past complimentary food, live music, fun and awards will be featured at the post race parties. Sailors wishing to attend socials must be fully vaccinated and will need to purchase a BI Button, similar to those that were used in the early Race Weeks.
Stay tuned for more details over the coming weeks and please note all the policies below.
“There has been a massive effort behind-the-scenes to give sailors what Block Island Race Week is known for,” says Redniss. “We appreciate all the cooperation to make it the best possible week of racing, fun, and safety.”
Block Island Race Week Policies
Plans, Guidelines and Policies [Updated May 18 2021]
Before arriving to Block Island:
- All skippers must register their crew: https://yachtscoring.com/ownerarea/owner_login.cfm?eID=13033
- All crew must sign the Race Week waiver on YachtScoring: https://yachtscoring.com/crew_login.cfm?eID=13033
- All participants must sign an attestation that they have either been vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to June 7th (in order to be considered fully vaccinated by June 21), or have had a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arrival on the island: https://stormtrysail.org/covidform/
Event-Sponsored Socials’ Policies:
- Any sailor or guest will need to be fully vaccinated to attend any event-sponsored post-race socials at the venue. Proof of vaccination will be required and can be uploaded ahead of time via the COVID attestation form.
- Vaccinated sailors or guests who choose to attend the post-racing socials will need to purchase a Button for entry. The Button covers access to the venue, music, food, and a discounted cash bar.
- Purchase your buttons here: https://stormtrysail.org/bibuttons