Maine Maritime Academy and the Storm Trysail Club are holding a day-long course for Junior Sailors based on the Safety-at-Sea Courses required of crews participating in ocean races such as the Bermuda Race, the Halifax Race, and the Trans-Atlantic Race. This seminar is for junior sailors, age 14 and up.
When: Wednesday, July 12, 2023
- Registration begins at 8:00AM
- Pick-up promptly at 6:00PM
- Maine Maritime Academy Waterfront – Castine, Maine
There will be approximately 12 ocean racer/cruiser yachts of various designs, both classic and modern, taking part in our Junior Safety-at-Sea Seminar. You will be part of the crew of 6-8 juniors with a captain, and a coach on each boat. Hands-on training will include: reefing, MOB deployment, VHF radio communication, live flare deployment, climbing the mast, line handling, harness, tether and jack line use, extinguishing fire at sea, and storm sail rigging.
An MMA launch will be available for parents and friends to follow the big boats.
Sailors should be sure to bring with them:
- Sunblock, hat, swimsuit, towel
- Appropriate boating shoes. No flip flops or sandals
- Bring your foul weather gear. We will be sailing, rain or shine
- Refillable water bottle and bag lunch
- USCG approved PFD (if you do not have one, please reach out)
- If you have an inflatable PFD, please bring it along so we can examine it and help you check it and learn about it
- Any safety gear you own you want to learn more about!
- A notebook and pen or pencil
This seminar is one of several sponsored each year by the Storm Trysail Foundation. The goal is to help young sailors to become involved and be invited to ocean race and cruise. Other seminars are held on various dates in Larchmont, Annapolis, Newport, Shelter Island, Perth Amboy and more.
For questions or more information, contact:
Bob Scott, Station Captain, Gulf of Maine Station, Storm Trysail Club: 207-326-0606, email@example.com
Patrick DiLalla, Head Sailing Coach, Maine Maritime Academy: 207-326-2254, firstname.lastname@example.org