JUNIOR SAFETY AT SEA
There will be a program in 2020 and it’s FREE, and better than ever!
And, we will offer special sessions for Intercollegiate Sailors
For more than 20 years, the Storm Trysail Foundation/Club Junior Safety-at-Sea program has trained thousands of young sailors in essential skills to sail safety in all conditions and to transition from small boats to larger ones. One of these skills is the ability to adapt when faced with new circumstances. The COVID-19 situation clearly poses a new kind of safety risk for sailors of all types. Accordingly, JrSAS in 2020 will not be using its traditional format of a group setting coupled with several hours of on-the-water practice.
Instead, we will offer our curriculum on-line in a self-study format that allows students to study at a time of their own convenience and progress at their own rate. We will also be expanding the program to include intercollegiate sailors. Best of all, we will be offering this free of charge.
- Lessons are broken into modules and will consist of video presentations from Storm Trysail Club experts thousands of miles of offshore experience.
- Self-directed exercises that can be done at home or a family/club boat.
- Optional "Zoom" sessions to allow students to ask questions, learn additional material, and participate in groups.
- Intercollegiate sailors will have additional advanced material and their own "Zoom" sessions.
- Weather and Pre-Boarding Preparation
- Crew Overboard Prevention and Recovery
- Safety Gear
- Health Maintenance
LATEST JUNIOR SAFETY AT SEA NEWS
September 2, 2021
Sixteen junior sailors had a great day on and off the water attending a Storm Trysail Club Junior Safety at Sea seminar hosted by the Chicago Yacht Club. Aged 12 […]
July 6, 2020
Due to COVID-19, we cannot host our traditional Jr SAS Seminars, but we have developed a FREE online version to help guide programs and young sailors – including college sailors.
June 22, 2019
Twenty-four young sailors from throughout the Chicago are spent a day learning about big boat and offshore safety at a Stormy Trysail Foundation Junior Safety at Sea seminar held June 22, 2019 at the Jackson Park Yacht Club.
November 27, 2017
Youth getting hands on offshore equipment training on Dave Irish’s No Surprise. It’s not so much thinking out of the box; it’s realizing that we built the box and that […]
July 21, 2017
Larchmont, N.Y. July 21, 2017 — Storm Trysail’s 21st Larchmont Junior Safety at Sea Seminar set a new standard for our seminars. Total attendance of juniors and their instructors totaled approximately […]
June 28, 2016
– As the first week of summer program sailing started throughout the region, 18 students from throughout the Chesapeake and as far away as New York came to Annapolis YC to learn about Big Boat safety and skills at the Junior Safety at Sea Seminar.
Once you register, you will receive a link and password to login and start digging into the Modules.