Open to Junior Sailors 11-17 who either cruise or race (or want to!) on bigger sailboats. Successful completion of this seminar meets the safety training requirement for minors who want to race in the CYC Race to Mackinac.
When: Saturday, August 28, 2021
- Registration begins at 8:00AM
- Pick-up promptly at 4:30PM
- Chicago Yacht Club Belmont Station – Sailing School. 300 W Belmont Avenue, Chicago IL 60657
- Morning Seminars and Demonstrations Include: Opening remarks, VHF communications, MOB video and briefing, dockside demonstrations and more.
- The Afternoon Session will be: On-the-water man overboard drills and setting storm sails.
The STC Junior Safety at Sea Seminar is ideal for junior sailors who spend time on bigger sailboats, either cruising with their family or racing, or who want to start racing on offshore boats. This fun, engaging one day class helps them become safer sailors and more useful members of a big boat crew.
Taught by experienced offshore sailors, we will combine classroom, hands-on, and on-the-water learning experiences. Junior sailors aged 11-17 will have the opportunity to learn about safety equipment and techniques and then get to apply that learning on the water on offshore sailboats under the skilled supervision of experienced sailors. They will get hands-on instruction on the use all sorts of safety equipment including PFDs, life rafts, electronic distress signals, VHF radios, flares, and more.
The class is all day and includes lunch. Sailors should be sure to bring with them:
- Masks per governmental requirements
- Sunblock, hat, swimsuit, towel
- Appropriate boating shoes. No flip flops or sandals
- We will be sailing, rain or shine, so dress appropriately for the weather.
- Refillable water bottle
- USCG approved PFD (if you do not have one, please reach out)
- If you have an inflatable PFD, please bring it along so we can examine it and help you check it and learn about it
- Any safety gear you own you want to learn more about!
- A notebook and pen or pencil
For questions or more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to Chicago Yacht Club for hosting, to our volunteer boat owners for their help, and to LMSRF for their support!